Maldives Culture -
Maldives Culture - maldives island
Latest Updates arrow Traditional Stories arrow Buraara - Bodu Takurufan arrow Buraara - The story of Bodu Takurufan part 25
Latest Updates
Advanced Search
Free Dhivehi-English Dictionary
Presidency of Mohamed Nasheed
Gayyoom's Dictatorship 1978-2008
Buddhism and Islam
Ibn Battuta 1343-45
Pyrard 1602-07
Rosset 1885
Maldives 1900-1922
Maldives 1924-1953
Majlis rule 1954-57
Suvadive Republic 1959-1963
President Nasir 1969-1978
Abdul Hakeem Hussein Manik
Maldives History
Maldives Art
Scripts of Maldives
Maps of Maldives
Traditional Stories
Magic - Fanditha
Photographs - Modern
Photographs - Historic
Ships of the Indian Ocean
Social Customs
Modern Stories
PDF Print E-mail
The story of Bodu Takurufan part 25
As told by the famous Buraara Mohamed Fulhu
and written by Al-hajj Ibrahim Ibn Ismail Feeboa

After darkness fell, Andhiri-Andhirin sat on his throne with a loaded a blunderbuss beside him. He kept the sword and shield on his chest without sleeping all night, while he ruled Maldives from his throne. Meanwhile the brothers continued spreading Islam the islands and wearing out their sails. The brothers made the islands of Maalhosmadulu atoll Islamic in four months. They used the same methods to bring Islam to six islands in Faadhippolhu in a fortnight. These islands were Maafilaafushi, Kurendhoo, Olhuvelifushi, Naifaru, Hinnavaru, and Dhiddhoo.

After he heard that the Utheem brothers had successfully brought Islam to the northern islands, Andhiri-Andhirin gave the following order to his militia, 'We have received news that the Utheem brothers have brought Islam to the four northern atolls. Before they arrive here, I want you to pour alcohol down the throats of all the moslems in Male'.'
When the moslems heard this, they gave praise and thanks to the Almighty and made a vow. 'Before Andhirin pours alcohol down our throats, may the Utheem brothers arrive and make this island Islamic. We'll hold a maulood recital.'

With the onset of darkness, the brothers went out through Aligalu. It was the third of Rajab.
'Hassan,' said Mohamed, 'we shouldn't head south of Male' without landing there first.'
The brothers tacked three times between Aligalaa and Gaadhoo Koa because the people of Male' didn't go to sleep until late. When all was quiet, the brothers took their ship through the Toddy Man's Grove channel and moored in Mui Vilu.
'Make sure no songs or poems are sung on this boat,' Mohamed ordered Dhandahelu. 'There's no appropriate moonlight for such activities.'

They went off into the island and through the bushy area. Walking towards the east, they passed Koaru Kedi, Vaidheri, Nikagas, Lhos, Rahdhebai, and Sabudheriyaa streets and then went along the main road of the island.

At Dhebey Rani's tomb they were reciting praises when they overheard an old woman speaking to a child in a house to the east. 'My little one, don't cry. The news is that the two brothers have brought Islam to the islands north of Male'. Before they can come here, Andhirin is bringing alcohol and pork to our island. Though we are mere mother and child, if we don't drink that alcohol we'll be nailed to a coconut tree and they'll pour it into our mouths! May it be the command and will of the Almighty that the Utheem brothers arrive tonight and make this island Islamic. A malood recital is being held to pray for this at the Middle Tomb. If the two brothers rule, three hundred kilograms of rice would cost only dhessa boli. If a mother can't find that in one part of the reef, she will find it somewhere else and then she'll be able to buy rice and cook and feed you. So no need to cry, go to sleep.'

When they heard the woman speaking those words, the two brothers went up to her front door and Mohamed said, 'What are you talking about, old woman?'
'Nothing more than you have already heard... Just the news about the Utheem brothers and Andhiri-Andhirin, and how food will be cheap if the Utheem brothers made this island Islamic. So my child shouldn't be crying.'
'Old woman,' said Mohamed, 'you won't be the only one doing a maulood. I'll also take part in it. It's not a maulood gadu, but a gadu maulood, isn't that right?'
Dhandehelu suddenly appeared at the front door. 'Hey old woman,' he said, 'for the maulood, are bananas and betel leaf from Dhuvaafaru ok?'
'Dhandehelu,' interrupted Mohamed, 'weren't you told to stay on the ship without singing any songs or poems? Why are you here?' 'I was just going back,' mumbled Dhandehelu as he left.

The women served food for the two brothers and then they walked north through the island. Along the way, they passed Fenfuvah palace in between what is now Maajehi palace and Mava Kilegefan palace. They walked east and then turned north before heading east again along the street next to Henveiru palace. Near Handi palace, they gave praises to the departed at the Medhu tomb and then headed north to a woody part of the island.

The two brothers headed to the offices of Andhiri-Andhirin. They noticed the bushes had been cleared on both sides at a distance equal to the range of a blunderbuss. Andhirin was guarding his throne, staying awake all night with his sword and shield, and the blunderbuss loaded and ready at his side.

Mohamed and Hassan made a futile search for a place to set up a gun and fire into the throat of Andhirin. Feeling disheartened, Mohamed put up his hands and prayed to the Almighty. As he lowered his hands and looked around, Mohamed noticed a large lettuce tree. He gave praise and thanks to the Almighty and thinking of the great learned ones, he took his tuna knife from his belt and stabbed it into the tree. Then Mohamed poured gunpowder into the blunderbuss he was carrying and loaded the bullet. He turned around to Hassan and told him to fetch a little fire to light the gun.

Hassan ran with all his strength towards Andhiri-Andhirin's fort. Outside, a man was on guard duty and smoking something in his mouth. Hassan headed towards the light. He moved at such speed that the shocked guard thought a shadow was passing by. He felt a hand between his legs and died as he hit the ground.

Hassan took the half smoked cigar and ran back to Mohamed.
'That man is asleep at the moment,' said Hassan. 'He may wake up, so hurry and fire the gun.'
'Go and hide somewhere away from here,' Mohamed muttered and Hassan ran over to a nearby bush and knelt there.
He came back a moment later, urging Mohamed to fire the gun before the guard woke up.
'Hassan, if you keep this up, I won't be able to fire. Get back over there and hide.'

The younger brother went back to his bush, and Mohamed gave praise and thanks to the Almighty and thinking of the great learned ones he rested his weapon on the handle of the knife and aimed as he lit the gun. The bullet went straight through one side of Andhirin's throat and out the other side. As Andhirin lay there dying, he took the gun from between his legs and fired it. The bullet came straight back towards Mohamed and blew away the handle of his knife where his gun had been resting.

Mohamed and Hassan entered Andhirin's fort and killed all the infidels in their beds. They were just about to leave when they ran into Dhandehelu ready to hit them with the heavy anchor wood he was using as a club. Holding it up to strike, Dhadehelu shouted, 'You shameless horrible people! You think you can escape after killing the Utheem brothers! Just try!'
'Dhandehelu, it's us... the two brothers!' yelled Mohamed. 'Aren't there enough infidels on this island for you? Is that why you're over here?'
Dhandehelu replied that all the infidels in Male' were sleeping the sleep of the dead.

Next day as the light appeared, a Malabar warship came through Bodu Kalhi channel. It headed straight for Dhoonidhoo and stopped in the harbour there. Islanders cruised out to the ship and learnt it had been sent by the Ali Raja of Cannanore to help Mohamed Takurufan capture the Maldives.
'In that case,' Mohamed told the people aboard, 'you can dispose of all these dead bodies and blood. Remove the bloodstained soil and clean it up.' But the men from the ship protested that it wasn't the sort of work they expected.
'Hey,' said Mohamed, 'you won't be doing it for free. I'll give you a boat full of coconuts and another full of fish.'
'We're still not interested.'
'You don't have to do it all by yourself. The moslems from this island will help you.'
'The answer is still no.'
'All right then, if you do the work I'll give you an island of your choice in Maldives,' promised Mohamed.

On that condition, the Malabar men and the moslems from Male' cleared a small place in the medhaka of the island. By then the sun had set. They worked all night and into the daybreak, when Mohamed asked the Malabariswhich island they wanted.
'The fushigandu island of Neykurendhoo in Thiladhunmathi atoll, would that do?' Mohamed asked.
'What can we do with a fushigan'du named Neykurendhoo?' they protested. 'Give us the island called Kattalafushi.'
Mohamed gave them that island, and put the grant in writing. He had not taken the crown yet, and because if this he signed the document with an alif. He handed the paper to them and told Hassan take them to their new island and return.

When Hassan left with the Malabaris, Mohamed put up his hands and prayed to the Almighty that there would be no water on Kattalafushi. The Almighty accepted this prayer and to this day, the island is devoid of water. When Hassan arrived at the Malabaris' island, the men carried their own bags ashore. He left and stopped at the first island he came across and spoke to the inhabitants. He stopped at all the nearby islands and did the same. Hassan told them all, 'I've come from Kattalafushi, and there's a chicken outbreak. Don't go anywhere near that island for three weeks.'

When Hassan returned to Male', Mohamed said to him, 'My hands are full at the moment. You four men go to Minicoy and come back with our older sister and the toddy man who weaved the sails and the other one who sewed them.'
Hassan sailed off in the Jumping Baitfish with Dhandehelu and the Haji brothers. They left through Gaadhoo Koa, sailed straight out into the ocean away from Maldives and set course for Minicoy. There, they heard that Utheem toddy man and his wife had died. They took aboard the older sister Amina Rani Kilegefan and Kalafan, and the next stop was Thakandhoo island in Thiladhunmathi atoll where they picked up the wife of their dead brother Ali.

Next they stopped at Dhidhdhoo, but the toddy man who weaved the sails had passed away. Sailing on to Maroshi, they found the toddy man there was still alive, so they took him aboard and set off for Male'. When they moored in the harbour, Amina Rani Kilegefaan and Kalafan were put in the Kabafan palace, while the older sister and older brother's widow were brought into the royal palace.

At the auspicious time in an auspicious month, Mohamed Thakurfaan took the royal throne and his name was sent around Maldives. He was called Gazi Mohamed Shamsudeen. Then the town crier was summoned and a gold band placed on his upper arm. He was given a muguru gadu and loagan'du, and the Utheem ruler gave the royal assent for him to make the public announcement in the twelve villages of Male' naming Hassan Takurufan as Hassan the chief treasurer.

When the town crier returned from that task, Mohamed turned to Dhandehelu and said, 'This is now the realm of the two brothers. During our reign, what would you like to have?'
Dhandehelu replied that he would accept the generous offer of Ranahamaanthikan.
So a public announcement for Dhandehelu was ordered in the twelve villages of Male', pronouncing him Dhuvaafaru Ranahamanthi Takurufan. The town crier followed his orders and returned.

The announcements were also done for Ali Haji, making him defence minister, and for Hassan Haji who became Hassan Faamudheyri Takurufan. Then it was the turn of the toddy man who had sewed the sails.
'What would you like to have?' he was asked.
'I have lived a long time and become old. Please give me a way of feeding myself without having to work,' said the toddy man. He became prayer leader at the Friday Mosque and allowed to live in the prayer leader's residence. He also received seven servants.

When all this was done, the great Utheem lord distributed nearly 4,000 kilograms of rice. Enough for the whole of Male'. Then a written government order was sent to the islands south of Male' that they must all become Islamic now. The people of Thinadhoo and Ribudhoo islands said they would not accept such a document. When he heard them protesting like that, Mohamed selected the strongest men from among the two regiments and sent them to Ribudhoo. The rest were ordered to Thinadhoo.

Mohamed Takurufan worried that he was unable to find someone to take the fandiyaru position. Shirazi Fandiyaru Kaleygefan had been exiled to Hanimaadhoo in Thiladhunmathi atoll during the reign of Andhiri-Andhirin. Utheem Bandaarain ordered him back to Male'.
'I've become very comfortable in this island. Please be kind and let me stay here until I die,' pleaded Shirazi.
Mohamed was very disheartened when he heard these words, but three days later a ship arrived from overseas carrying another learned man. He was summoned and Mohamed said, 'This country was devoid of religion when it was recaptured. Would you accept the position of Fandiyaru here?'
'Your highness,' came the reply, 'I'm not travelling in search of material wealth. I'm looking for somewhere quiet. Allow me to travel around your country and I'll present you with a learned student.'
He received permission and travelled to the north.

Now listen!

The strong militia force sent to Ribudhoo and the two regiments sent to Thinadhoo returned and reported that both islands had been made Islamic. The great Utheem lord gave the islands to those men and the islands remain theirs, to this day.

After travelling in the north, the learned man was unable to find a suitable island, so he headed south and landed in Meedhoo island on Addu atoll. He found a boy and in three months taught him the holy way. The learned mane took him to Male' and said to Mohamed, 'Your highness, here is a student of mine. Give him the Fandiyaaru position.'
Mohamed agreed and made the announcement.

The young man's name was pronounced as Jamaludeen all over the country. Jamaludeen Fandiyaru Kaleygefan was the Fandiyaaru during the reign of the great Utheem lord. Meanwhile, the learned man continued his search for an island and he chose Vaadhoo in Huvadhu atoll and settled there.

Now listen!

Hassan married a daughter of king Ali and he lived in Didi palace in Maafannu ward on Male'. Fenna palace was vacated to make way for Ali and Hassan Haji. These two must have been skilled with the lance, because a lance workshop was set up for them and they were given instructions that when they came from their house to the royal palace they were to wear dhebaas keelin kalhu rumaa laigen and their sandals.

Then Mohamed gave the order to distribute rice at the royal bench on the left side of the Hiththan gate. When the rice arrived, a chair was set up where Mohamed sat down and sent a message to the twelve villages of Male' announcing that 300 kilograms of rice was available for anyone with dhessa boli. Hearing this, the old woman from that night Mohamed killed Andhiri-Andhirin went of to collect cowrie shells but she couldn't find dhessa boli. She returned home and told her child she hadn't been able to collect enough but tomorrow she would find more and there would be enough to buy rice. Trading closed, and next day the same order was given and the woman walked from one shallow beach to the next until she had collected dhessa boli. However, by this time the sun had set and trading was closed for the day.
'I have the dhessa boli,' said the woman to the child. 'But the trading's over for the day. I'll go tomorrow.'
On the following day, rice was brought to the royal bench and public notices sent to the twelve villages of Male' announcing that 300 kilograms of rice was available for dhessa boli. The women came with her cowries in a coconut shell. She was given 300 kilograms of rice and then motioned to leave. Standing up from his seat, Mohamed said, 'The selling of rice for dhessa boli is now over.'

The woman went off with her rice and on the night of the 10th of Rajab she prepared a food hamper for a maulood recital at the Middle tomb. Curry was served in small plates and savoury snacks placed in other plates in the container. Amina Rani Kilegefan and Ibrahim Kalafan, the mother and son living in Kabafanu, cooked a hamper too. Dhuvaafaru Ranahamaathi Takurufan brought bananas and betel leaves from Dhuvaafaru for the maulood. The keyn cooked by the mother and son, and the keyn cooked by the royal woman were both eaten before the start of the ceremonies.

Next night, the great Utheem lord finished the maulood with soft chapatis. Dhuvaafaru Ranahamaathi Takurufan, Ali Haji Dhoshimeyna Takurufan and Hassan Haji Famuladeyri Takurufan turned to the two brothers and agreed that they also should take part in the maulood. They recited maulood in the mosque for the remaining two nights. The great Utheem lord also took part.

While he reigned, Mohamed stayed in a house where Kullaabuge is now. When he became king, there were only mimbar steps at the place where Eid prayers were held. He decided to build a mosque beside that mimbar, and he had a thatched room constructed. Then Mohamed decided to build another mosque to the west of where Galolhu ended. If someone asks you which mosque it is, you should say it is the Beautiful Galolhu Wall Mosque. Inside the compound, a pool was dug out. Then Mohamed decided to build a place for himself. That was Maandhooge.

When Utheem Bandaarain captured Maldives there were people from Goa, Malabar and France working for Andhiri-Andhirin. Some of them accepted Islam. Others didn't, and over time they died. Some of the foreigners who became moslems also stayed in Male'. Others lived in the islands. Each of them stayed somewhere comfortable with their families. A Cannanore man named Holhi Nakka lived in Fasmandhoo, Maalhosmadulu with a wife and children. Another Malabari settled with his wife and children in Gan in Haddhunmathi atoll. It must have been because his skin was red that the people in those islands called him Gan Red Man.

Mohamed decided that his older sister should marry someone. He found a Male' nobleman for her and let the couple live in the inner palace. The two loved each other so much that within three months they had been divorced three times!. At that time, there was no three month cooling off period, it was only fifteen days. After the final fifteen days and proving she wasn't pregnant, she married a man named Umar from Galolhu road. Soon after, she became pregnant and had a baby boy. On the seventh day, the baby was named Black Tukala.

Then it was decided to check the whereabouts of Maavadi Takurufan, the man who built the Jumping Baitfish. He was still alive and when he arrived in Male' he became the Isdhoo chief, and a land grant was given for his descendants. The Himithi master carpenter had passed away and so had the one in Rasmaadhoo. The Kelaa carpenter was brought to Male' and land from Kelaa was granted to him. He was also made Kelaa chief and sent back to his island. A robe and walking stick was designed for the ministers.

Mohamed had an official letter written and seals placed on its four corners. It was sent to Dhon Soalhiyaa Kaleyge, Mohamed's Ceylonese moslem friend. When he opened the letter he discovered he was to be given a thousand fish from each vessel that arrived at Ceylon from Maldives.

Now Mohamed decided his older sister should be married. He looked for an appropriate man and selected Tufashana Takuru who had become the new atoll chief at Thiladhunmathi after Viyazoaru's death during the reign of Andhiri-Andhirin. He was brought to Male' and the announcement made in the twelve villages of Male' giving him the title of Tufashana Takuru Fashina Takurufana-ey Fashalhi Takurey. He was born in Meedhoo and so people called him Meedhoo Kilege. On an auspicious night, the older sister married Meedhoo Kilege and he went to the house he was given the west side of the big Maafannu bathing tank.

On an auspicious night, Mohamed married the daughter of Meedhoo Kilege. She moved into the royal palace. Hassan Kilegefan had two daughters. He used to bathe in the Dhabugasdhoshu tank.

Now listen!

A couple was living near the women's beach at Maafannu. If the husband could find food somewhere else, he wouldn't come to the house, and he didn't bathe. After living like this for ages, it must have been a night when he couldn't find food that he came to his wife's house and said, 'Woman, I'm hungry. Get me something to eat.'
'So, at least you can tell when you are hungry! Can you remember the last time you had a wash? I'll feed you if you wash first.'
'I've got a chill tonight. I can't take a bath. I'll wash tomorrow. Feed me now.'
So he was fed on condition that he wash tomorrow, and after eating he lay down to sleep. At dawn he woke up before his wife and escaped.

Many days later when he couldn't get food again, he went home and asked his wife to feed him.
'So, you realise you're hungry again. The last time I fed you on condition that you washed the next day. I won't feed you tonight unless you have a wash.'
The man wasn't able to sleep because of his hunger. If I don't wash tonight, she won't feed me, he thought. Taking a square piece of cloth, he walked to the EtheKoal mosque compound. Stringing the cloth over his genitals, he faced the steps that descended into the bathing tank, and jumped backwards into the water. As his feet touched the stone on the bottom, he started to shiver and immediately climbed out of the tank. Then he put on a dry sarong and wrung the water out of his piece of cloth before placing it on his head. With his hands holding it in place, he half ran towards his house.

In those ancient days there were no walls or gates on this island, and as Hassan Kilegefaan was going to his palace he ran into this man near where the Bodu Kibaa jetty is now. As they met, Hassan said, 'It looks like people from this island are still wearing square cloth turbans, even though we two Utheem brothers don't, isn't that so?'
But Hassan didn't mention it to Mohamed because it didn't seem important enough.

The man arrived at his house and when he finished putting oil on his body, his wife served him food.
'Wife, let's get rich,' he said.
'Do you think being poor is easy? It's more comfortable being rich.'
'Wife, I didn't receive even a small inheritance. Unlike me, your parents gave you about two gold chains. Take them to the chief minister and ask him to make this house luxurious for a single night.'
Though he didn't wash, the woman loved her husband so much she agreed to part with her gold chains. After eating, the couple lay down to sleep and at dawn the man left while the woman got up and cooked and swept. After she finished breakfast, she remembered what her husband had suggested.

Taking the gold chains, she went to the chief minister and presented them to him, saying, 'Can you make my house luxurious for tonight?'
The chief minister dismissed the woman and sent his servants to her house. They found there was little roof to stop the rain, and no mats on any of the benches. There was no overhead fabrics and no sausage pillows. The servants put thatch in the gaps on the roof and spread mats on the benches, along with a mattress and six sausage pillows. A chair was placed near the small bench and a table put next to the chair. Finally another mat was spread and the pillows arranged. Wooden sandals for feet-washing, and a selection of vegetables for the evening meal, completed the arrangements.

That evening, the woman checked the new things and tried to cook in the kitchen. As the darkness came, the man came in and lifted up the door curtain and wondered what had happened. He thought it wasn't his house and dropped the curtain. Then he noticed light coming from the kitchen and when he looked in, he saw his wife and realised it really was his house. So he turned around and went to the bathing area and standing on the washing rock, he called out, 'Wife, bring me the sandals.'
After she brought them in, he took the bucket attached to the pole and dropped it in the water, took it out and poured water onto his feet. Then he stumbled onto the bucket. From his early childhood, this man had never worn sandals and he didn't know how to walk on them. 'Wife, take me into the house.'
She held him upright and dragged him on the sandals into the house, sitting him down near the prepared food. She placed a cone of fabric over the food and fetched water. When it had been poured, she removed the cover from the food. The man realised the food was of such quality he had never seen its like before, even at the ceremonies and wakes he had been invited to in the past.

The man ate that night until his stomach burped. When he'd finished, he asked his wife for water and he washed and wiped his hands. Then he sat on the small bench and leaned against the pillows with one leg on the knee of the other. 'Wife, prepare some tobacco.'
The tobacco leaves were put in a hookah and handed to him. The man took only three puffs and began to feel dizzy. He had never smoked before. 'I can't smoke this thing. Bring me a betel leaf snack.'
He put it into his mouth, but the dizzy spells persisted one after another and getting worse. 'Wife, take me to the bed.'
She dragged him there on his sandals. He lay across the head of the bed and after his wife had finished eating and drinking and putting away the leftovers, she came and lay across the foot. They rested there talking and the man said, 'If I fall asleep like this, wake me up for the 11 o'clock night drum.'
His wife agreed, and after talking some more they fell asleep.

The man awoke to the beat of the drum and he jumped up. Taking a piece of hard frond thatch from the roof of the house, he went outside and ran off with strength in his legs. He stopped at the Dhan'bugasdhoshu bathing tank where Hassan Kilegefan had just finished bathing. He was standing on his sandals, drying himself. Without hesitation, the man lifted the hard stick over his head and struck off the knobs of the wooden sandals from between Hassan's toes, breaking them at the base. Then he ran back home. When the man arrived at his house, he noticed it wasn't a hard unopened frond he was holding, but an old worn-out weaving tool.

Meanwhile back at the bathing tank, Hassan finished oiling himself and decided to return to his palace. He lifted his foot and when he put it down it was on the ground! He asked a man carrying a wet turban if anyone had been around.
The man said he wasn't aware of anyone, but when Hassan was coming out to put the oil on, there had been something like a shadow.
'Is that right!' said Hassan.
He went to the royal palace and mentioned what had happened to Mohamed. Then he returned to his own palace for the night.

At daybreak, an order to assemble was sent to the twelve villages of Male'. Everyone from the island was summoned to the parade ground. At the palace big bench, a chair was set u, and Mohamed sat on that royal throne. Each person was brought individually and questioned, 'Was it you who cut off the knob of the sandals belonging to my younger brother Hassan Kilegefan?'
'Master, how could a humble slave be capable of that?' they answered.

On the third day of this questioning, the poor man's wife said, 'Hey, you also live in this island! The king of this country is sending orders to the twelve villages of the island, summoning people. This isn't the first or second day, but the third! So aren't you going to go? If you stay home and anyone hears about it, then neither of us will be allowed to remain in the island! You should go, not hang around here! Hurry!'

The man agreed with his wife and he looked for the piece of cloth he had worn to bathe that night his wife had refused to feed him. When he found it, he put the cloth on his head and walked straight to the parade ground and stood among the crowd. As on previous days, people were being questioned individually. At last it was the poor man's turn to be asked, 'Was it you who cut off my younger brother's wooden clog's knob?'
'It is a difficult thing to have to admit, your highness. But it was me, a humble slave, who cut off that knob.'
The great Utheem lord made a royal announcement. 'My good man, when I found out who it was, I was going to make him the master instructor for the militia and give him the island of Filitheyo.'

'Your highness, please listen to your humble slave. The night my wife refused to feed me if I didn't have a wash, I took this piece of cloth.' He held the corners of the cloth and lifted it up flat above his head. 'Your Highness, I went into the compound of Ethekoilu mosque and climbed onto the washing stone and removed the wrap of cloth from my waist. I put it on the steps and hung this cloth from my front and jumped into the bathing tank. When my feet touched the bottom stone at the shallow I felt a chill, so I got out of the tank and as I was wringing the water out of my cloth on my way home, I came across Hassan Kilegefan. It was then he commented that other people, besides the two Utheem brothers, were wearing turbans within the very palace! Your highness, it was my mistake and due to bad behaviour. Pardon me for that.'

Mohamed stood up and took his hand and led him inside where he was made the master instructor of the militia and given Filitheyo. This man was one of the two young men who used to carry Ubusheymu who taught Dhon Bulha Fashana.

During the reign of the brothers, older people in most of the islands of Miladhunmadulu had taught young men to go to the toilet without bending their knees and to clean themselves afterwards without water. With the old teaching the young this way, most people in the islands of Miladhunmadulu became infidels. When this news reached Male', Mohamed sent a selected men from the two regiments to each island, and they were made Islamic. When they returned to Male' and reported, each island was given to them. All the islands in Miladhunmadulu given to the militia groups are islands that have been made Islamic twice.

Now listen!

One day the Meedhoo Kilege said to the older sister of the two brothers, ' It is the reign of your brothers. But they haven't held a public announcement for you as a queen. If I was in charge, I'd arrange it.'
'Hey Meedhoo Kilege, I never said I wanted that! Right now it's the middle of the night, but if I went straight to the two brothers and asked for something tonight and came back, tomorrow they wouldn't even convene the court before doing what I asked.'

Meedhoo Kilege kept saying the same thing day and night. After dinner when they both lay down to sleep this was all he would talk about, but she refused to accept what he was saying. For four years without a break, day and night, Meedhoo Takuru said the same thing. Finally after four years, she agreed with him. Maybe because she loved Meedhoo Kilege so much.

The great Utheem lord was a man who fasted on the 13th, 14th, and 15th of every month, and he went to Gasdhoshu mosque for every prayer. Coinciding with the fasting time, Meedhoo Kilege obtained a poison and he had it added to food. He sharpened a sword and made a space under one of the pillows of the small bench to keep the weapon next to his belly. He also made a hole in the middle wall through which Mohamed could be struck with a lance.

The invitation was made for Mohamed to come to Meedhoo Kilege's house to break his fast that day. In the kitchen of the house, there was a servant girl who was ready to begin wearing a dress. She kept on going out to the gate and looking around. Then she'd run back to the kitchen before whipping outside again even faster. The time came when she saw the defence minister Ali Haji walking back from afternoon prayer with a black scarf draped around his body, wearing his sandals and heading to the royal palace. She lent her stomach over the goat fence and waited. When Ali Haji reached the gate she ran up and hugged him.
'Defence minister, I'm not holding onto you just because of the immense affection I have for you. It's also because I've gone slightly mad.'
'Young girl, what is the matter?'
'If I don't tell you, things will get extremely difficult for you Ali Haji.'
'Tell me then.'
'I'll tell you, if you touch my hand to marry me.'
'I can marry you even if I don't touch your hand with mine. I don't remember lying since I went to Arabia and performed haj and visited Medina.'
'Defence minister, Meedhoo Kilege has obtained some poison and used it to cook contaminated food for the king. On the small bench, beside a pillow, he has made room for a concealed sword under his belly. There's a hole in the middle wall for Abu Gasim Takuru to strike Mohamed with his lance. And the invitation has been sent to come to the house to break his fast this evening.'
'Young woman, don't tell anyone else what you have told me. Ok?'
The girl agreed and went back inside.

Ali Haji set off and as he was climbing up the large stepping stone, Hassan Kilegefaan was coming out of the palace and also stepping onto the same stone. Ali Haji moved slightly to one side and paid his respects. Then he recounted what the young girl had told him. Hassan listened and then said, 'Ali Haji, you're a fasting man. The sun is setting, so hurry to your house for your meal. I'll be back soon after I've seen my nephew in Kabafanu palace.'

When Hassan arrived, Kalafan came running out calling 'Uncle!' and held his hand and began to play. Children's play can have a strong effect and make you forget things, and what Ali had told Hassan became lost in their game. When the sun set Amina Rani Kilegefan told Kalafan it was time for him to wash his feet, and mother and son went in to the royal sleeping quarters.

Hassan suddenly remembered what Ali had said, and he ran with all his strength to the palace and looked around, but Mohamed wasn't there. Hassan became distressed and when he flew outside the call to prayer hadn't finished yet, and there was a man beating the drum for Rannamari in the parade grounds.
'Hey, for the time being, don't beat the drum.'
The man agreed and moved away.

Mohamed was meant to have gone to the Gasdhoshu mosque to pray. Hassan Kilegefan ran out through an area which is now the space between two gates and when he looked around he saw a group of children and asked them if they had seen his older brother going to prayer. 'He didn't go to the mosque,' they said. 'He went along that street over there.'
Hassan ran off, but Mohamed was nowhere to be seen. Then he went straight to Meedhoo Kilege's house and lifted the front door curtain. Mohamed was being served water.

Hassan walked in and took hold of two corners of the table cloth and said, 'Do you still have to go to people's houses to get fed properly, now you're the king of Maldives?'
He pulled the table cloth and dropped it to the ground along with all the plates. At that moment, a cat came out from under the big bench, put its mouth to the food and dropped stone dead without a single spasm.

Meedho Kilege was lying across his small bench with the sword under his belly as Hassan grabbed him by the shoulders and seized the sword. He raised it above his head but Mohamed jumped up and stopped him from striking Meedhoo Kilege.
Holding onto the edge of the sword he told his younger brother not to make a mistake.
The girl had been standing in the middle doorway watching the whole performance. As Abu Gasim Takuru was about to use his lance though the hole in the wall, another man came through the south door and grabbed the weapon from his hand. He threw the lance into the Takuru and pinned him against the wall. The man went back out through the south door and jumped over the bathroom fence sideways and landed on the well stone.
The girl standing at the door laughed out loud and said, 'So Takuru, that's how you strike with a lance!'
She stepped out through the south door and lifted the door of the bath area and looked in to see Ali Haji stepping off the stone. She took out three betel snacks from her lap and he ate them as a single mouthful.

The two brothers left Meedhoo Kilege's house and went to the man who had kindly stopped beating the Rannamari warning drum at the parade ground.
'Now you may bang away,' said Hassan and the drum sounded again. This was a tradition that he established.

Then Hassan went to the royal palace and summoned the people who had been given positions during the reign of the two brothers and the palace guards. 'Take Meedhoo Kilege outunder a tree and punish him severely. Then send him off to Meedhoo and come back here,' Hassan ordered.
When he heard this, Mohaed intervened and made a royal pronouncement. 'You are to take Meedhoo Kilege out under the tree and without inflicting any punishment, send him to Meedhoo.'
They obeyed and on that same night took Meedhoo Kilege under the tree and then put him on a ship heading to Meedhoo.

Now listen!

During the reign of the two brothers, their older sister asked to go to Meedhoo and they agreed. Afterwards it occurred to Mohamed that he should arrange food for his sister. The tax note for Nilandhoo atoll was sent to the couple in Meedhoo.

The two brothers also decided to build another mosque and it was constructed on Viligili, next to Male'.

Now listen!

The great Utheem lord established a tradition that every Friday, when the length of a person's shadow was seven paces, a public announcement would say that anyone who wants to attend the Friday prayer at the time of the midday call should take a shower and gather at the parade ground. When the crowd formed, the two brothers emerged to lead them to the Friday prayer. Afterwards they would return to their Palace and the people dispersed to their houses.

Now listen!

That Meedhoo Kilege was very interested in astrology. He could divine up to four years ahead and knew how to find the most auspicious times for important events. After looking at the future he began to build a warship. When eating sugar got low at the ship building site, he would send a boat to Thiladhunmathi. They would trade around the islands and including Nolhifvaravfaru. There, one of the young men from the boat met the Nolhivaranfaru learned teacher. The old man asked him which island he was from and what he was trading for.
The young man said he was buying up sugar, because good eating sugar was in short supply where Meedhoo Kilege was building a warship.
'Is that so!' said the teacher and they went into his house and he fed the young man until his stomach was full.

'On what day and at what time did Meedhoo Kilege start building this ship?' asked the teacher.
The young man replied it was at a certain time on a certain day, and the Edhuru sent him on his way before opening his large book and checking out the alignment of the heavens for Meedhoo Kilege over the next four years. The learned man put the book down and went outside, asking men if it was time to go to Male' and suggesting it was a good time to go. One young man said he couldn't go because his mother was sick. Another said his father was ill, and someone else said his little sister was too unwell for him to leave.

The teacher couldn't find a single person who would go, so he went to discuss the matter with the prayer leader and the chief. These men went out to the middle of the island and called 'Yoi' and gathered all the people of the island.
'Look people,' they said, 'when the learned man asks to go to Male', why doesn't anyone want to go with him?'
They heard the excuses about sick family members and then the leaders said, 'Isn't this the reign of the two brothers? Who is their teacher and advisor? If you don't do what he asks, for sure you will not be able to die in this island where you were born.'
Some of the young men agreed with their elders and five of them said they would go to Male'.

Taking a water pot, Edhuru and the five men left for Male' and on that same day they sailed between the two Bandos islands. They moored in Male' harbour and Edhuru went up into the island and through the main gate of the royal palace and stepped onto the dhuroashi olhigan'du and stood there. Hassan Haji Famudheyri had left the palace and arrived where the Iskandhar gate is now, when he saw the master but didn't recognise him. No one except our teacher would stand on the dhoroashi olhi, he thought. But that man can't be a learned man! It must be someone who doesn't know what's what. He must have decided he didn't like standing on the ground so he decided to stand on the olhi.

Hassan stepped on the inside stone and old man moved to the outside stone and said, 'I don't know what sort of official you are. It doesn't matter. Could you mention that a man from Nolhivaravfaru island in Thiladhunmathi atoll is around and wishing to see the royal feet?'
Faamudheyri Takurufan went back to the palace and told Mohamed about the request.
'My lord, there's a man from Nolhivaranfaru island on Thiladhunmathi atoll outside the gate and wishing to have an audience with you.'
Mohamed ran outside without even bothering to put on his shoes.
'Master, what brings you travelling here today?'
'Because of you two brothers, I can't stay in my own island and die peacefully in my old age. That's why I'm here.'
'What exactly is the problem?' asked Mohamed.
'My lord, when Meedhoo Kilege was sent away to Meedhoo in Nilandhoo atoll, he did an astrological reading for the next four years and began construction of a warship. If it's built, that will mean the end of the reign of the two brothers and the beginning of the reign of Meedhoo Kilege.'
The great Utheem lord spoke in a commanding voice, 'What was the time, day and month that Meedhoo Kilege began building the ship?'
The old man gave the details, and after Mohamed checked the calculations he realised the master was right.
'What is the time, day and month the ship is to be launched?'
The master replied that Meedhoo Kilege planed to launch the vessel at a particular time on such and such a date. Holding his teacher's hand, Mohamed led him inside, where Mohamed wrote the Thiladhunmathi treasury bill and put the seal on it and handed it to the old man. 'During the reign of the two brothers,' announced Mohamed, 'it is not rquired that the tax from Thiladhunmathi be brought to Male'. That will be enough for you to eat and live on your island until you die. Take this and go.'

Before this, Thiladhunmathi tax had been organised from Baarah but after Mohamed's decision it was transferred to Nolhivaranfaru during the lifetime of the old master. Since then and up until today, tax is organised at Nolhivaranfaru at the house of the local teacher.

After the teacher left, the four noblemen Hassan Kilegefan, Dhuvaafaru Rana Hamadi Takurufan, Ali Haji Dhoshimeyna Takurufan and Hassan Haji Takurufan stayed at the palace and held an important meeting. Meedhoo Kilege's daughter tried to listen, but they were talking so softly she couldn't overhear properly. She concentrated and listened carefully and she heard Mohamed mention the Jumping Baitfish.

After their talk, the four noblemen went out through the outside palace gate. Hassan Kilegefan said he would return after visiting Kabafanu palace and seeing his nephew. The other three went to prepare the ship and they set off for Guraabu Thun'di, beckoning everyone they saw to accompany them. Whoever they met was running up to them. Everyone ran without stopping for breath until they came near the noblemen.

At the Guraabu Thun'di, the noblemen cut the thatch off the Jumping Baitfish and noticed large gaps between the planks and joins, and weeds growing there. Once the Jumping Baitfish had succeeded in making Maldives Islamic, no one had bothered looking after it! Once the weed growing inside the boat was pulled out, the ship was recaulked and launched again. Food, water and firewood were taken aboard and the royal vessel was moored at the Kabaaja beach. When the three noblemen arrived back at the palace, Mohamed was lying down on his swing bed, wearing a blanket and facing the wall. Not wanting to disturb him, the three noblemen sat on a low bench. Meanwhile Hassan returned and when he saw his brother lying like that, he went up and touched his head.
'My older brother has a fever, Dhandehelu,' said Hassan. 'If it turns out to be fatal, then it is very sad. Our nephew also has a serious illness. He keeps going to the toilet. I just returned from washing him... I'll be back in a minute.'
He ran to the well of the Middle mosque and washed his hands. Then he ran back to the palace and displayed his hands to the three noblemen.
'I just went to my nephew and he'd been to the toilet again. I cleaned him and came back. The water hasn't dried from my hands... I'll be back in a minute.'
He went to the mosque again and then ran back to the palace and showed his hands to the three noblemen. 'I went there again and my nephew had just emptied his bowels. I've just cleaned him and the water hasn't even dried on my hands yet... I'm the one in the middle trying to look after these two sick nobles! My nephew's illness is very serious. It would be better to take my older brother over there rather than bring the boy to the palace... Older brother, please try and get up. Help us, sister-in-law. Dhandehelu, take Mohamed's writing case and bag.'
Even when they move close by, these noblemen take their writing cases and bags, thought the daughter of Meedhoo Kilege.

In ancient times in Male', when queens, wives and princesses moved from one palace to another there were no palanquins like we use now. In those days, there was a scarf veil called the burugaa. Wearing this veil, the lady walked out through the main gate and along next to Maarandhoo palace, Noomaraa palace and Galolhu palace. Then she passed Malim house, Henveiru palace, Sikka house and walked past the Munnaaru area. At that time, the Munnaaru as we know it, didn't exist.
Halting there, she thought, I left before the noblemen. They haven't had time to get to the Kabafanu palace, that's for sure. They must still be behind me.

When the lady left, the five of men had run towards the Kabaja beach carrying their writing cases and bags. The climbed aboard the ship and punted out of the harbour. The lady remembered the men had discussed something about big meeting, and she had heard Mohamed say something about the Jumping Baitfish. She threw away the veil and ran hard in the direction of the Kabaaja. The ship was being punted out to sea. She jumped into the water, swam out and grabbed hold of the punting pole that Mohamed was holding. He felt it become heavy and turned around to see his wife holding onto the bottom end.
Mohamed turned to the front of the odi and said, 'Dhandehelu, my pole is stuck!'
'Never mind,' said Dhandehelu, 'there're other poles. Leave it there. Keep the ship moving.'

So the pole and the lady were left behind, and other poles kept the ship gliding out of the harbour. The sails were unfurled and raised, while the lady waded back to dry land and ran along the beach in the direction of the Eid mosque and stood there. She saw the Jumping Baitfish coming towards Maathila and she ran into the island grabbing the bucket and pole at the Eid mosque and putting it in the well. She ran back to the beach and saw the ship closer to Maathila, so once again she ran into the island and starting with one foot on the west side, she bent the stick against one side of the well and then the other, lifting her leg and leaning on the pole until she cracked it in two. Then she ran back down to the beach and into the shallows and saw the yardarm of the Jumping Baitfish had broken.

'Hassan, hurry and make a yardarm from the broken sections,' ordered Mohamed.
'I don't know how to!'
'You watched the people on the warships make yardarms from the broken ones didn't you?'
'I never thought about that,' admitted Hassan.
Mohamed removed a short splinter of wood from one end of the broken yardarm and a long splinter from the other end. He put the longer piece where the shorter had been and switched them over again. Then he as-jahaa baarah keeli jahaa and fixed the yardarm together. Mohamed raised the sail and they took the royal ship through Maathila. As they left, the lady went back up on dry land.

The two brothers sailed the Jumping Baitfish across Vaadhoo channel and left Male' atoll via Hiki channel. They sailed into Nilandhoo atoll through Gaafuni channel and stopped at Himithi where they moored the ship. On the island, they met an old woman.
'Why are the Utheem brothers travelling today?'

'Can you tell us, old woman,' asked Mohamed, 'the way to sail to Meedhoo so our sail won't be seen?'
'Yes,' she said, 'come with me.'
She took the two brothers to her house and served them high class food, warm fish sauce and warm smoked tuna. After eating, they walked outside and she was asked again how to sail to Meedhoo without their sails being seen.
'Leave Himithi and go along below Minimasgali, keep to the ocean-side shallows along below Kudathun sailing in Nuilandhoo channel. Sailing close to Nilandhoo keeping Meedhoo Fushi on the Meedhoo side and release the sail at the corner of Meedhoo Fushi. Then you can make it into Meedhoo without showing your sail.'

The two lords sailed the way the woman had described. As they cruised along the Nilandhoo shallows a man on shore called out, 'Hey, passing boat! Where are you coming from, and where are you going in the setting sun and coming darkness?'
'I'll do the talking, and give our ship's name,' Mohamed said quietly to Dhandehelu.
Then he called out, 'This is Vaa Kan'dholhu Maamigili boat.'
'An order has been sent to Kan'dholhu Maamigili that you can't travel without loading and tranporting timber.'
'We aren't aware of that. We're returning to the island after travelling to Male'.'
'It doesn't matter if you're returning to the island after going to Male'. Come over here and take some timber with you.'
'Hey, the crewmen are fasting today,' Hassan interrupted. 'After breaking the fast tonight we'll land.'

Hassan went onto the island just after the onset of darkness and said the crewmen would be following as soon as they finished eating.
'Where's the timber?'
They walked towards a patch of forest and Hassan stopped and asked, 'Who are you?'
'I'm Kilege's Rakkalu.'
'Well Kilege's Rakkalu, the crew were fasting today but they would have broken their fast and finished dhufun [madiseela koffaane] by now. Let's go and get them.'

Hassan took Kilege Rakkalu aboard the ship and said to his brother, 'Since he's Kilege's Rakkalu, doesn't that make him my Rakkalu?' Hassan lifted the man up into the air and carried him to the front of the ship and killed him.

They sailed their ship on towards Meedhoo, keeping Meedhoofushi between themselves and the island. When they reached the corner of Meedhoofushi they released the sail. It was midnight when they took the Jumping Baitfish into Meedhoo harbour.

Now listen!

Meedhoo Kilege's warship was to be launched next day. When the sun set that night a hymn singing ceremony began and when the middle of the night arrived the singing ceased. By the slipway, Hassan Bey the island's troublemaker was tied to a post in the ground. The old man was lying there praying and giving praises to the Almighty.

When the singing finished, Meedhoo Kilege turned to the people of the island and said, 'Tomorrow, in the first hour of daylight, we'll launch the warship. If we stay up without sleeping, we'll lose all our strength. Let's go to our beds.'

Meedhoo Kilege led the people back into the island just as Mohamed was mooring the Jumping Baitfish and coming ashore. The great Utheem lord noticed an old man with a walking stick sitting on the bench at the beach and he approached him and said, 'Hey old man, why are you out here so late at night?'
'My lord, I've never even heard my grandfather talk about a warship of this size being built before in Maldives! I've been waiting here listening to the hymn singing for the launch. The ceremony stopped and I won't get back in time if I leave now, so I'm sitting here until it's launched and then I'll go home.'
'How old are you?' asked Mohamed.
'I'm hiya years old and going on dhessa.'
'Do you think you could burn the ship?' Mohamed asked.
'How could I possibly do that? I haven't been able to see the sky for the past fifteen years!'
'You won't do anything sitting there like that! Go to the ship and burn it!' Mohamed grabbed the old man's arm and lifted him upright. Strength flowed into the ancient body and he felt the vitality of fourteen or fifteen men!

The old man threw his walking stick away so hard it was never found again. Then he ran with all the strength of his legs, first releasing Hassan Bey the troublemaker by cutting loose his binding ropes. The two men went to the boatshed and grabbing the ends of one side of the thatch roof, they pulled it down and carried it over to the ship. Bringing oil used for lighting lamps from a nearby house, they poured it on the new ship. Meedhoo Kilege and the islanders were laying down to sleep, and some were completely asleep already.

The old men lit the two fires at either end of the ship and one in the middle. Soon flames engulfed the boat. As the fire roared, the two men began to shout and those who hadn't fallen too deeply asleep woke up and went towards the noise. At the beach, they saw the new ship burning, but they didn't try to put the fire out, they just ran back into the island to Meedhoo Kilege's house and called out that while he was laying there sleeping, his new ship was burning.
'That can't be true!' he said as he jumped up and ran out with all his strength.

Meanwhile Mohamed was making his way towards Meedhoo Kilege's house, checking directions from people on their way to the beach to see the buring boat. The two men soon ran into each other.
Without a fragment of doubt, the great Utheem lord did this to my new ship, thought Meedhoo Kilege. I won't let him get away with it.
He turned and went back into the house and emerged with a sword and shield and challenged Mohamed. When they were in the attack position, Meedhoo Kilege couldn't see a single piece of Mohamed's body that he could strike, while the great Utheem lord had the choice of many places where he could have split Meedhoo Kilege in half.
I'm not going to have much success here, thought Meedhoo Kilege. Taking the sharpened end of the sword in his hands he pushed it into the sand and on the handle he hung the shield by its strap. Then, taking cover behind the shield, Meedhoo Kilege ran away.

Utheem Bandaarain thought Meedhoo Kilege was hiding behind the shield and he lowered himself to the ground and lay there without moving his legs or his shield. This was how Hassan found him when he came up from behind and said, 'Older brother, you are now attacking an empty shield. Where's Meedhoo Kilege? He's escaped!'

He asked some bystanders and they said Meedhoo Kilege had gone off to Velavaru, an island south of Meedhoo. Mohamed went after him in Velavaru but the Kilege escaped back to Meedhoo and when Mohamed returned to Meedhoo he sailed to Velavaru again. They travelled back and forth between the islands for two days and nights.

An old woman said, 'My lord, why are you coming and going all the time?'
'I'm looking for Meedhoo Kilege.'
'You won't catch him like that. When you leave, Meedhoo Kilege checks you've gone and sleeps on the four-legged bench in the forest. You should go to Meedhoo and stay at the beach. When Meedhoo Kilege falls asleep, I'll use a flame in a shell as a signal. When I show you the flame, come then. Now, return to Meedhoo.'

Mohamed left and Meedhoo Kilege came to Velavaru. When he landed, the woman followed right behind him keeping his head in sight. She walked along behind one bush and then another. By th e middle of the night, Meedhoo Kilege realised Mohamed wouldn't be coming and he went into the forest to sleep on the bench. The woman walked up and down as Meedhoo Kilege got comfortable and when she heard his regular breathing, she ran down to the beach and sent the flame signal using a coconut shell with a hole in it.

Mohamed came straight to Velavaru and asked the old woman where Meedhoo Kilege was. She indicated the road.
'That won't do, tonight. You walk ahead and show us the way.'
The old woman led them to Meedhoo Kilege and Mohamed grabbed where he lay and pulled him upright. Mohamed knew he could leave the man and he would play the same game again, so he took the Kilege with him. Mohamed had decided to visit other islands as well and Meedhoo Kilege would have to accompany him. Mohamed's sister was also with them. She travelled under the ship's awning.

Meedhoo Kilege felt embarassed by his own behaviour, and wasn't able to look anyone in the eye. He went to the back of the ship and rested his elbows on his knees as he sat facing the horizon. Dhandehelu was near the water jar, and after some time he noticed Meedhoo Kilege still facing the horizon with his elbows on his knees and his chin resting against his hands. Dhandehelu put his head down and sidled up slowly to Hassan Takurufan and whispered something into his ear before moving back to his position.

'Mohamed, go under the awning,' said Hassan and he took the rudder from his brother as he went under the shelter. They headed for Velavaru and stopped there to ask the woman who sent the flame signal what she wanted for her family from the two brothers. She said she wanted permission to collect cowrie shells in Gonifaru for her and her descendants. An official order was written and the seal applied. The order also included access to a muraagan'du in the lagoon of Velivaru as well.

The Jumping Baitfish cruised back to Meedhoo where they asked the old man what royal favour he wanted from them.
'Manippulhu, after a long life I have grown old. Rent me some land so that I will have food for my children.'
He was given what he asked for.

Hassan Bey the troublemaker was also asked what he wanted and he requested land to rent as well, which was granted to him.

Then the ship sailed on and stopped at every island they came across. Each time they landed, the people followed behind the two brothers. One of their stops was Gan island in Haddhunmathi atoll. When they arived there, Hassan said to Dhandehelu, 'We've been at sea a long time without a bath. Let's wash.'
'This is Haddhunmathi Gan,' said Mohamed. 'Just remember not to ask these people for any oil.'
Hassan agreed and he went with Dhandehelu to where two men sat under a large open shed weaving two pieces of thatch. Hassan went into the pool nearby and bathed. When he and Dhandehelu had finished, they came out and stood under the shade where the men were working.
'Hey, give us a drop of oil for our bodies,' said Hassan.
The two men jumped up from what they were doing and stood right in front of the other two and put their hands up under the others' noses.
'Did you leave even a scrape of coconut so we could have some oil ready for you when you'd finished bathing?' one of them asked.
The men began to argue and Hassan grabbed one of them and the other man grabbed Hassan. Dhandehelu ran off to tell Mohamed.

Mohamed asked the islanders about the two men. He learnt they were 'badhavin' who had not accepted Islam according to the royal order. The three wrestling men were separated, and the two islanders were told to accept Islam. They refused and so the 'badhavin' were killed. After checking the rest of the island, the brothers left.

They continued inspecting islands until they reached Vaadhoo island in Huvadhoo atoll. They landed there, and as they walked around they saw a coral stone well in front of the house of the island sorcerer. Hassan Takurufan inspected the well closely and found it was made of three carved coral rocks.
'Mohamed, this is a good well to put in front of your new house in Utheem,' said Hassan.
'It is someone's property,' said Mohamed. 'It would be good if it was given to us.'
The owner was standing right behind them, and he said that if they could take it away he was willing to give it to them.
'In that case, dig out the three pieces and take them to the Jumping Baitfish,' ordered Mohamed.

Then the two brothers toured the island, while the others dug out the pieces of the well and loaded them onto the ship. After they left, the sorcerer went into the forest and cut a stick and bent it over until both ends were stuck in the ground. He laced it with pieces of coir and did a spell.

Meanwhile, aboard the Jumping Baitfish whioch had sailed away from the island, the travellers noticed a string of cloud stretched from south to north and a storm with two water spouts developed. The brothers were caught in the storm and had no idea where they were going as they floated along in their ship. However no storm wind hit the ship. The bad weather went past on both sides.

The Jumping Baitfish returned to Vaadhoo and unloaded one of the pieces of the well. The sorcerer undid the spell, and the sky became as clear as the copra shell. The ship left the island three times, auntil they only had one piece of the stone well aboard. They sailed for ten days and nights until Hassan suggested to Mohamed that they throw the coral overboard. 'This is Huvadhoo channel,' said Mohamed. ' If it is the divine will that we should have this coral, then we'll get it back. Throw it in.'
They left the stone in Huvadhoo channel and sailed on for another fifteen days and nights.

'Mohamed, you must make a royal pledge for the blessed month,' said Hassan.
'If it is the command and will of the Almighty that we touch dry land again,' pronounced Mohamed, 'we'll build a mosque, dig out a bathing pool and offer a flag to the Jumping Baitfish.'
As he said this, the ship was wrecked on Dhiththudi, the southernmost point of Maluku atoll, and they landed in Kolhufushi island just north of there. They built a thatched building for a mosque and dug out a pool beside it. Then they made a flag offering to the Jumping Baitfish, and placed 'kalhu-oh fummi-ge feysthaashi mis-mathee'. Also the royal waistcloth was put at the front, and the sword was placed in that mosque.

Hassan and his sister landed in Vaariyaafushi nearby and built a mosque in that island. People say that something from the Jumping Baitfish was placed in the new building as well. When the mosque was completed, everyone from the wrecked ship returned to Male' by using passing ships.

Three or four years later, people from Utheem arrived in Male' and on the day they appeared at the royal court, Mohamed asked them, 'People of Utheem, what is this trip for?'
'We've come to tell you some news from the island.'
'What is it?'
They said that on a certain day of a certain month, half of a well had been washed up onto Utheem. The two brothers immediately left for their home island and at their new palace house they put down half the well and built the other half.

When they returned to Male', Mohamed sent Meedhoo Kilege's daughter out of the palace and away from Male' too.

While they were reigning, Kalafan was officially named in royal decrees, and the royal umbrella was raised over his head. From then on, Kalafan was in charge of the royal white palanquins.

Later, Mohamed married Meedhoo Kaba. She was the most famous young woman in Male' in those days. The second night after their wedding, Mohamed went to her house, and the Kamana went to do a 'fenthashi kolhu'. Kalafan was standing at the place where Maafaanu gate is now, and he began to sing a rhyming song. When he heard the singing, Mohamed came straight out of the house. He wouldn't drink the water, and wouldn't return to the house either. And didn't bring her to the palace.

Mohamed Takurufan reigned for a year, one month and twenty-eight days. He passed away on the first day of the fasting month. Young Kalafan was named the future king and Mohamed was buried mosque. Hassan became regent. He ruled for seven years, 4 months and 14 days. On the 14th of the month of Muharram, Hassan was buried in a tomb like Mohamed.

Dhandehelu ran the kingdom for four years and nine months. No tomb was built for him.

Then it was the turn of Ali Haji to rule. He stayed for three years and seven months.

Hassan Haji took over and ruled for two years and six months. The two regiments on Male' gathered as Hassan Haji's body was prepared for burial and put in the coffin that was placed in the same plot as Ali Haji. A tomb was built and funeral rites were carried out.

After Mohamed died, the four noblemen ran the affairs of the realm on behalf of Kalafan for seventeen years, two months and fourteen days.

This is where the story of the great Utheem lord ends.

Now listen!

After this, Kalafan reigned as king...


Here ends the story of the great lord as told by the famous Buraara Mohamed Fulhu.

16 January 1970
Sa-aadhaa Printing Press

top of page

Maldives Culture, Powered by Joomla!; free resources by SG web hosting