Maldives Culture -
Maldives Culture - maldives island
Latest Updates arrow Traditional Stories arrow Buraara - Bodu Takurufan arrow Buraara - The story of Bodu Takurufan part 13
Latest Updates
Advanced Search
Free Dhivehi-English Dictionary
Presidency of Mohamed Nasheed
Gayyoom's Dictatorship 1978-2008
Buddhism and Islam
Ibn Battuta 1343-45
Pyrard 1602-07
Rosset 1885
Maldives 1900-1922
Maldives 1924-1953
Majlis rule 1954-57
Suvadive Republic 1959-1963
President Nasir 1969-1978
Abdul Hakeem Hussein Manik
Maldives History
Maldives Art
Scripts of Maldives
Maps of Maldives
Traditional Stories
Magic - Fanditha
Photographs - Modern
Photographs - Historic
Ships of the Indian Ocean
Social Customs
Modern Stories
PDF Print E-mail
The story of Bodu Takurufan part 13
As told by the famous Buraara Mohamed Fulhu
and written by Al-hajj Ibrahim Ibn Ismail Feeboa

Now listen!

Black Faranji told the king of Goa that Maldives was a good place to do trading. The king was a particularly greedy man so a three-masted ship was put into a deepened drydock, and a boatswain, leading hand and crew with enough provisions and firewood were loaded onto the ship. When it was ready, Goa Black Faranji came aboard with gold nuggets and gold dust. The ship was officially handed over him and as he sailed away from the mainland it disappeared and he set course for Maldives.

After many days of sailing, the ship arrived on a Friday night just as king Ali dreamed that a three-masted ship was easing into Male' harbour. He got up and performed the dawn prayer and then went down to the beach at Kabaadhi. As he looked, a ship sailed through Gaadhoo Koa and dropped anchor in the harbour. The king returned to the palace and summoned the harbour master to the palace and instructed him to find out what was happening.
'Yes, sir,' he said.

The harbour master approached the ship from windward and called out as he came close to it. 'Where is this ship from, and what is your destination? Who owns the vessel? A prince? A minister? A merchant? What sort of trading vessel is it?'
Goa Black Faranji called out that it wasn't a ship controlled by a prince, minister or merchant. It was Goa Black Faranji's ship on a trading mission.
'What did you bring to trade?'
'Gold in the form of nuggets and gold dust.'
'How do you intend to trade?' asked the harbour master.
'We won't be paying any port duties,' declared Black Faranji.

Back at the palace, the harbour master informed the king.
'This isn't a wealthy country,' said Ali. 'They should pay import tax. If they stay to trade and set up stalls they'll get fish, cowrie shells and coir rope. There'll be days when they get nothing. They can't trade here except on that condition. Go and tell them and come back.'

The harbour master told Black Faranji what the king had said.
'Our traditional way of trading,' insisted Faranji, 'is that our goods are bartered away on one deck while the other deck is loaded with what we receive. We won't use any other trading method. If your king disagrees, then we'll leave now.'
The harbour master reported his words to the king.

Meanwhile Black Faranji decided that since he was in the land of his birth he would land and have a look before leaving. 'Prepare the dinghy,' he ordered and they rowed into the Kabaadhi and secured it there. He told the crewmen to wait and went ashore to walk around. He noticed a particularly high pavilion among the low bush on the beachfront at Ranjehi and decided to go over and investigate. He stood at the entrance just as a maulood recitation was about to start. He also heard talking and shouting from the southern side of the pavilion and went over to see what was happening there. As he came out through the north gate and onto the two dhaala he found two piles of food with their wrapping undone. He ate some rice from each one and walked into the pavilion.

The island elders respectfully but firmly asked him to leave and he asked them why. They explained that they were Moslems and about to start a maulood recitation, and he was an infidel. Faranji agreed he was an infidel but that he still had a right to share the maulood rice and he wasn't going to leave without eating it. He also reminded them that the chandelier lighting used in the pavilion had belonged to his mother. Despite the insistence of the elders, he refused to leave so someone went off and informed the king who then sent for chief justice Shirazi and told him about it.
'Your highness, what Faranji says is true. Though he's an infidel, maulood rice is a right for him.'

On the instructions of the king, small copper plates were brought from Ranjehi palace and in the annual Golden maulood (held in Male' on the 27th of the month of Rajab), long tablecloths were spread into two lines. The king ordered that each person was to eat from a separate plate. and every plate would have its own bowl of salt. The people organised the event as instructed and when it was ready they informed the king.

Matukala accompanied Ali to the maulood. The king began the ceremony and later when he was returning to the palace with Matukala, Goa Black Faranji followed them. Someone approached the king and warned him that Faranji was likely to follow all the way into the palace.
'Tell him to go back to his ship that brought him,' said the king.
The man passed the order onto Faranji but he said he wasn't following the king and was going to his ship anyway. 'That's my maternal younger brother. He's never seen a ship. Send my brother to see it. Then I'll leave.'
When the king heard this, he refused to let Matukala go.
Suddenly somebody said that if Faranji proceeded any further he would be entering the palace.
'Tell him to go to the ship,' ordered the king.
Faranji told the messenger that he had every intention to return to the ship, and added that he and his younger brother had been born in the same womb and yet that brother had never seen a ship. If his brother was sent to inspect the ship then he'd leave.
When the king heard all this he accepted that even though he was an infidel, some of what Black Faranji said was true. His younger brother was from the same womb, thought the king. It is unlikely he would be hurt his own brother.
He told the messenger to ask Faranji how long it would take to show his brother the ship before sending him back. Faranji said he'd bring him back without much delay. The king said Matukala had to return no later than three o'clock in the morning and Faranji promised that he might even be back before then.

The king turned to Matukala and told him to go with his older brother to see the ship. Black Faranji took Matukala by the hand and they walked together towards Kabaadhi. Ali went into the palace accompanied by the two regiments but he didn't lay down to sleep. Instead he stayed awake, waiting for Matukala to return.

Black Faranji climbed into the dinghy and went out to the ship with Matukala. Once aboard, Faranji didn't just give his brother a cursory tour. They walked around together holding hands as Faranji identified each part of the ship and explained their purpose. Then he asked the crewmen to place soft bedding on two berths near the ship's kitchen. Faranji made his brother sit on one while he lay down on the other. He asked his brother to lay back too and Matukala obeyed. He hadn't slept for twenty-four hours because he'd been busy helping the servants in the royal quarters making paper lanterns which lit the street on either side during the king's procession to the Golden maulood. There was a nice soft breeze blowing from the west and Matukala fell asleep. As soon as he heard his brother's regular breathing, Faranji jumped up and told the crew there was no time to pull up the anchors. He ordered the anchor ropes cut where they lay over the top plank; the sails were unfurled from the masts and the vessel headed towards Gaadhoo Koa.

Meanwhile king Ali was still awaiting Matukala's return and he heard the 3 a.m. prayer. Matukala was late so Ali went down to Kabaadhi beach and looked towards Dhoonidhoo where the ship had been anchored, but it wasn't there! He peered towards Gaadhoo Koa and made out the light freckles of the ship.

From that time, king Ali became depressed and ruled alone.

Aboard the ship as the islands disappeared below the horizon and daylight began to fall on the sea, Faranji told his crew he had brought the ship's weights for more than one reason. 'Tie the weights onto the legs of the sleeping man and throw him into the sea so he drowns.'

The crewmen tied the weights onto each leg and dropped him into the sea. Matukala only awoke as his body hit the water and he couldn't stay afloat with the weights. They went down, taking Matukala with them. The ship sailed on towards Goa.

Now listen!

About eight or nine days after this happened, people from the north sailed into Male' harbour and as they tied up their sails they called out that a dead body had washed up on the beach of Kolufushi island. When he heard the news, king Ali sent men to bury the body and they recognised Matukala. They made a tomb grave and when they returned, told the king they had buried Matukala. The king then renamed the island to Ziyaaraiyfushi. During the reign of this king, if the night fell on a reyvileyve and if the weather permitted, people were sent over to the island to light a lamp, burn incense and clean the tomb.

Now listen!

Black Faranji sailed to Goa, secured the ship and went to see the king. He told the monarch that Maldives was better than a piece of growing gold. He said there were two roots in Maldives and he had just cut off one of them. Black Faranji said he could now take over Maldives on behalf of the king of Goa. The king was a very greedy man and he didn't care how much he spent if he thought the returns were worth it.

He ordered a three-masted ship placed on the drydocks and checked it for leaks. It was then launched and stacked high with many pieces of tharufaalu in preparation for war. The king assigned adequate boatswains, leading hands and crewmen. Then he loaded provisions, water, firewood, guns, gunpowder and ammunition. The king handed the vessel over to Black Faranji and told him to make haste to Maldives. The ship left Goa harbour and when the mainland had disappeared behind the horizon, the course was set for Maldives.

They arrived on a Thursday night. That same night king Ali had a dream about a three-masted ship entering Male' harbour. He got up, performed the dawn prayer and came out at Kabaadhi beach and looked around. Out in Gaadhoo Koa he saw a three-masted ship. It sailed along and eased into the harbour. King Ali hurried back to the palace and summoned the harbour master and told him to find out about the ship. The harbour master approached the ship from the windward side and called out asking where the ship was from and where it was heading. He asked whether it belonged to a prince, a minister or a merchant.
Black Faranji called back that he had come to attack Maldives.
'When do you intend to start fighting?' gasped the harbour master and he learnt the assault would begin on Saturday morning.

When he reported all this to king Ali, he beat the drum mobilising the two regiments. Ali led them to the northern bushes and they built a sandbagged fort reinforced with thick coir rope netting and coconut palm trunks.

On top of the sand barrier were stacked all the remaining palms and trees. As the surrounding bush was lowered, the barrier level rose. The king then went to Friday prayer with the two regiments. They returned to the palace and the king faced the regiments and spoke. He told them to return to the parade grounds that night at the time of the early morning prayer. In the meantime they were to go to their houses.

The regiments reassembled very early on Saturday morning at 3 'o'clock. King Ali awoke, performed the dawn prayer and took the incence burner with fire and led the two regiments on a journey past all the tombs in Male'. They recited a set of prayers at the Medhi Ziyaaraiy and then went to the northern bushes and put gunpowder into a gun and loaded the cannon ball. They fired the gun.

Immediately the ship began firing back. For each volley fired from the ship there was returning cannon fire from the island. The gunfire continued all day without a break from sunrise to sunset. King Ali spent the morning and afternoon of each day with the regiments fighting the battle.After a month and a half, the ship had exhausted its gunpowder and ammunition so Black Faranji sailed straight back to Goa, setting course when the islands had disappeared from sight. On his arrival he went to see the king and reported that he had returned without capturing Maldives not because he'd lost interest in conquering it, but because he had used only a single ship.

Driven by greed, the Goan king thought the added expense would be worth it. This time two ships of three masts were launched from the drydock, and adequate numbers of boatswains, leading hands and crewmen are assigned. Provisions, firewood, guns. gunpowder and shot were loaded aboard and the two ships were put under the command of Black Faranji. He set sail for Maldives and arrived there on a Thursday night when king Ali dreamt that two three-masted ships were arriving at Male' harbour. After the dream, he awoke and performed his dawn prayer and went down to Kabaadhi and looked around. He saw the two ships coming through Gaadho Koa and waited as they sailed into Male' harbour. Ali returned to the palace and summoned the harbour master and told him find out about the ships' intentions.

The harbour master approached from the windward side and called out to the ships.
Black Faranji replied that they weren't trading ships but they had come to fight against the Maldivians.
The harbour master asked when the attack would begin and he was told that Faranji would rest a day and then the fight would start.
When this news was relayed to king Ali, the drum was beaten and the two regiments summoned. The king and his men went out and repaired the sand barrier and its frame. They stacked trees and palms on top of the mound and cut away the surrounding bush. Afterwards, the king went to Friday prayers with the regiments. They all returned to the palace and there the king gave his orders.

He ordered them to assemble at the parade ground early on Saturday morning at three o'clock and then sent them to their houses. Walking home together, the men said to each other that though some of their members were fairly old, none could ever remember the king giving his orders personally before. They had always heard the orders from a superior officer. Last year a single ship had come, they said, and this year it was two ships! It is all becoming a very serious problem, they said as they dispersed to their homes.

The regiments gathered at the parade ground during the call for the earlyu morning prayer and king Ali awoke and performed the dawn prayer, lit the incense burner and came out to walk with the two regiments and visit all the tombs on the island. A set of prayers were said at the Medhu Ziyaaraiy and then the king and his regiments went to a gun, loaded it with powder and shot and then fired it. At once the ships began to fire back. From sunrise to sunset, the ships and the island traded cannonfire. The king was with his troops each morning and afternoon, and the fighting continued for two and a half months until the ships exhausted their gunpowder and shot. Once again they sailed back to Goa.

Faranji reported to the king that although he was still keen to conquer the islands, it looked like three ships would be needed. The king of Goa was still prepared to invest in the venture because he saw the chance of enormous profits, so this time three three-masted ships were placed in the drydock and checked for leaks and prepared for battle. Crew and provisions for men and battle were loaded and then the ships were put under the command of Faranji. This time Faranji searched Goa for a person suitable to be the captain of the largest ship. He looked for eight or nine days, then noticed a man crossing the street. Black Faranji approached him and asked his name. The man said he was known as Viyazoaru, and Faranji then asked if he was interested in helping to conquer Maldives as the captain of a large ship. Viyazoaru replied that only his wife could answer that question so Faranji insisted they go to the Viyazoaru's house.

Faranji waited outside the house, while Viyazoaru went to the door and asked, 'Is this the right thing to do, or the wrong thing?' His wife wanted to know what he was talking about, so he explained Faranji's offer. Viyazoaru said there was no reason why he must go.
His wife knew that if all went well, he would probably be victorious so he should only agree if he was promised personal control of a quarter of Maldives. She asked him if he knew how much a quarter of Maldives was. Viyazoaru said he had no idea. So she told him it was the four atolls north of Male'.
'If you are given the four atolls to the north, do you know which island you should stay on as the tax collector?'
Her husband had no idea.
'The island you should stay on has a harbour shaped like a bangle women wear on their forearms.'

Goa Black Faranji heard this discussion but he stayed outside. The wife eventually emerged from the house and said that if her husband accompanied him as captain of the large ship and they were successful in capturing Maldives, then her husband should receive a quarter of the country. Faranji took two pieces of paper from his inside pocket and wrote the pledge on both pieces. He gave one to Viyazoaru's wife and put the other back in his pocket. He also gave her a bag of precious metal and jewels. Faranji turned to Viyazoaru and said the ships were ready to leave immediately.
'So let's get it organised,' said Viyazoaru. 'Assemble the required boatswains, leading hands and crew, attach the sails and leave one anchor down on each of the ships and keep a dinghy at the port wharf - have it available day and night.'

Faranji organised all this and meanwhile the Viyazoaru looked up the right sailing times to depart for Maldives and attack Male'. Of the various times, he chose the most appropriate and then he went to the port and the waiting dinghy. He went out to the largest of the ships and ordered all three to leave at the appropriate time.

Now listen!

They sailed to Maldives and arrived on Thursday night. This time king Ali didn't dream as he slept. The three ships anchored at Dhoonidhoo and the king got up for the dawn prayer and as usual went down to Kabaadhi beach. When he saw the three ships Ali was distressed. He returned immediately to the palace and summoned the harbour master. The king told him to go out and question the ships, and come back. The harbour master approached the ships from the windward side and called out to them.
Black Faranji answered, 'These aren't trading ships, these are the warring ships of Goa Black Faranji who has come to attack the Maldives.'
'When are you going to attack?'
Hearing this question, Viyazoaru said to Faranji that he would answer it. He went up on deck and shouted, 'We'll wait tomorrow and begin our attack the day after.'

When Ali received the report he had the drum beaten and the two regiments assembled. Once again they repaired and strengthened the sand barrier, placing a net of coir rope on the outside and raising blocks of coconut timber on the inside. They hacked down trees and palms and stacked them on the fort, levelling the scrub around it. Then the king went to Friday prayer and then returned to his palace and gave orders to the two regiments telling them to return home and reassemble on the parade ground at the early morning prayer call. The regiments wandered off discussing the situation again and commenting how serious the problem had become with three ships arriving this time.

When they appeared back on the parade ground next morning, king Ali awoke, performed the dawn prayer and lit the incense burner before going out with the soldiers and visiting all the tombs in the island. While they were offering prayers at the Medhu Ziyaaraiy, guns were fired from the big ship under the command of Viyazoaru. King Ali and his men packed their guns with powder and metal shot and fired them too. The battle continued with both sides firing volley after volley.

On the eigth day, Eydhafushi Hassan Vatha Bandeyri went to see the king and said, 'Your highness, send me to the Bodu Kottey as a gunman to operate the cannon from there with your blessing. Send me, and unless four people who know me come and tell you that I have been killed by the ships' guns, then do not surrender.'

Hassan went off and fired guns steadily at the ship returning shot for shot. From sunrise to sunset the sound of gunfire resonated constantly. King Ali came each morning and afternoon and fought alongside his regiments. After a month of continuous war the regiments asked the king to surrender.
'Honourable men, we can't do that. If one cup of cooked rice is not enough, then eat two cups. And for every blast of the enemies' cannon fill one of ours with gunpowder and set it ready for aiming.'

The king continued with the battle and it wasn't until a fortnight later that the men asked to be allowed to raise the surrender flag.
'Noble men, we can't do that,' argued the king again. 'Just hold on a bit longer and let's see what happens.'

The war continued, and eight days later the men again asked to be allowed to surrender.
'Don't do it, men. Be patient.'

The next time the men wanted to give up was only four days later, and then two days after that. King Ali refused each time. The next day they asked once and the following day they asked twice, but the king still refused his permission to surrender. The next day only one gun was being fired from the three ships and Black Faranji said to Viyazoaru that their gunpowder had run out and it was time to leave.
'It isn't the right time to go now, let's go tomorrow,' said Viyazoaru.

Meanwhile the officers of the regiments were meeting in small groups in different places and discussing whether they would be asking three times the next day to surrender. As the discussions continued, at a gate where the Maafannu Gate is now, a very old hag of a women called Kanbadhuhu Badhuhusaan put her head between the two gates and noticed one of the officers nearby.
'Hey officer! Is this war being run by king Ali or not? What are you men standing around in groups and discussing?'
'We are discussing the fact that the king has refused all our pleas to surrender. Yesterday we asked twice and now we are discussing whether today we should ask three times.'
'That's only three times!' said the woman. 'Even if you made a request for every step the king takes, he wouldn't agree to surrender. I'm sure of that.. and you know why? I overheard Eydhafushi Hassan Vatha Bandeyri, the gunman at Bodu Kottey when he asked the king to assign him there. He said that unless four people were certain he had been killed by gunfire from the ships, and reported this to the king, then Ali was not to surrender. I heard this with my own ears! So if four of your more experienced officers went to the king and told him that Hassan had died after being hit by the ships' guns and then asked for permission to raise the surrender. Then he'll give it. Otherwise he never will.'

The story spread among the officers until everyone in the regiments was aware of it. With the agreement of all, the false message was to be given by the four more senior officers. They went to the king and said, 'Your highness, Eydhafushi Hassan Vatha Bandeyri Takurufan has been hit and killed by gunfire from the ships. Give us permission to raise the surrender flag.'
King Ali was devastated by the news. 'What everyone wanted has finally happened. Now I must agree to what you have already decided.' The king gave permission for surrender and began to pray for martyrdom.

The officers raised the surrender flag and it was seen by Viyazoaru. 'What are you waiting for?' he yelled at his men. 'Get off and pillage the place. They're completely demoralised now.'

When Black Faranji prepared for this war he didn't just bring sword soldiers or gun soldiers! He brought sword warriors, gun warriors, 'gudibanu' warriors, 'lakudeege' warriors, and catapault warriors. The dinghies from the ships were lowered and as they came towards shore with their weapons, king Ali was told they were on their way. He put on his armour, took his sword and shield and came out with the two regiments onto Kabaadhi beach. Eydhafushi Hassan came running up to him and Ali ordered the two regiments to wait as he and Hassan went into battle at the Kabaadhi.

Ali didn't allow anyone to land. The fight went on, blood flowed and bodies mounted. Ali moved back away from the pile and prevented anyone from landing between Kabaadhi and Guraabu Thun'di. When the blood flowed and the bodies mounted there, he moved near the kuda laami tree and continued fighting and preventing anyone from landing between the kuda laami tree and Guraabu Thun'di. Ali glanced back to see what the regiments were doing and he noticed some of them were missing.

Eydhafushi Hassan was slain near the kuda laami tree and without his protection, the king was soon hurt. With the remaining members of the two regiments, the king moved back and forth, stopping anyone from landing between the kuda laami tree and the New Buruzu. When the blood flowed and the bodies built up there, he fought in the area between the New Buruzu and Kulhidhoshu Buruzu and stopped anyone from landing there as well. The fighting continued until Ali was virtually alone with only Meedho Takuru carrying the royal betel and areca nut box. The king was wounded but he battled on alone until the flowing blood and pile of bodies meant he had to move to the Yahuya Thun'di and between there and Kulhidhoshu Buruzu he stopped anyone from landing on the island.

The Viligili toddy man saw the battle, so he collected two toddy pots from a coconut palm and ran with all the strength in his legs to his kitchen where he asked his wife to quickly strain the pots.
'What's up, Kaleyge?' his wife asked.
'King Ali is fighting on his own and badly in need of a drink. I thought I'd take him a bit of toddy.'
'What are you trying to do?' asked his wife. 'Regardless of who reigns as king, you'll still have one hundred and fifty coconut palms in Viligili to work on. What are you doing?'

The toddy man ran into the house with his pots and found a clean piece of cloth and strained the toddy. He ran onto the beach with a float of coconuts and threw it into the water. He put the toddy pots on it and with a two tongued oar he came paddling towards Male'. The toddy man approached the island at the southwest corner where the reef was thinner, landed at Mui Vilu and walked along the beach with his pots. Fighting alone, king Ali had reached the Thin Badi Buruzu when the toddy man came up to him.
'Here's some toddy, your highness. Drink this. You need it badly.' He handed the toddy to the king and ran to the front line to maintain the attack and defence.

King Ali sat on the roots of a bush in the forested area and drank as he chewed a serve of betel leaf and areca nut and watched the toddy man fighting. The king commented to Meedhoo Takuru, 'Everyone is especially skilled in their own way, aren't they.'

The toddy man had a stick in his right hand and a lhaaba in his left. Having exhausted the pleasure he felt from just watching the battle, Ali ran to the battle line. It was a day when the tide was so far out there wasn't a drop of water anywhere near the shore. It was dry all the way down to the reef. King Ali and the toddy man went to where the water would have been ankle-deep if the tide was in, and continued fighting. As the blood flowed and bodies mounted they moved out into where the knee-deep water would have been and continued fighting. When the blood and bodies piled up again they moved into waist deep water area and stopped anyone from getting onto land. Now they had to move into place where the water would have been chest-deep if the tide was in.

As they battled there, a left-handed white man with a squint let loose a rock from a catapault and hit king Ali between the eyes and martyred him. Soon after, the toddy man was also martyred. Their bodies lay among the corpses of the infidels and a sandbank formed over them. King Ali died on the 16th of the month of Shaubaan. When the king was killed, Meedhoo Takuru threw away the betel and areca box and ran. As he was fleeing he came across the female chef of the royal kitchen. 'Hey Takuru,' she said, 'where are you running like a madman?'
'Don't let me drag you away from your work preparing king Ali's dinner!'
'Come on, tell me what's happened,' she insisted.
'King Ali has been martyred,' explained Takuru. 'That's why I'm running away to hide in the bushes at Lonu Ziyaaraiy Kolhu.'
'Takuru, I've got some good advice for you. Just come with me.'
'Anyone who meets someone like you finds themselves unable to get away, regardless of the urgency of their problem!' complained Meedhoo Takuru. 'Just tell me what you have to say, I have to find a place to hide!'
'I'll tell you where to hide on condition that you marry me.'
'I need a place quickly... OK, I'll marry you... Come on, tell me.'
'Takuru, even if you hide you won't be safe,' said the chef. 'Pretend you're a bit mad and run around the island yelling this warning: If all the people on the island are killed and it becomes a bushy quarry, then there'll be no cowrie shells, coconuts, coir rope or fish. Someone must be king of this island and a treasurer must be appointed. He must send atoll chiefs to the atolls, and the atoll chiefs must send people to the atolls to fish and collect cowries. These are the only sources of wealth of Maldives. There's nothing else here... Just run around shouting that, you'll be safe enough.'
Meedhoo Takuru agreed with this advice and he ran around yelling the warning.

Meanwhile news of the death of king Ali reached the ships. Black Faranji lowered his ship's dinghy and headed for shore. He came through the Mafannu channel and where the dinghy grounded on the beach he decided to build an administration office to live in. A tent was brought from the ship and while he was sitting there Meedhoo Takuru came yelling around the tent and then went back into the island. The people setting up the tent wondered what he was yelling about and somebody said to ask him and find out. The men moved off into the island to arrest Takuru. They chased and caught him and brought him to Black Faranji.
'What's all the noise about?' demanded Faranji.
Meedhoo Takuru repeated the warning again.
Black Faranji asked Takuru if he would be the new treasurer. 'If you're offering, why shouldn't I accept?' he replied.

So at the tent site, before Faranji took over the throne, Meedhoo Takuru became the new treasurer. Soon after, Faranji was seated on the throne of Maldives and the name of the new king Andhiri-Andhirin was proclaimed around the country.

Next day as daylight hit the ground, Moslems in the island said they should search for the body of the fallen king. They went to the reef and turned over the bodies of the infidels until they found Ali and the toddy man. They were laying away from the others where the waves were forming a sandbank. On that day, the 17th of Shaubaan, the two bodies were buried where they had fallen and the people raised a tomb there as well and reinforced it with a circle of large rocks.

The new treasurer assigned an atoll chief to each atoll to the south of Male'. Before selecting the chiefs for the four atolls north of Male' he decided to consult with Andhiri-Andhirin. He went to the new king's office and explained that the atoll chiefs were all appointed except for the four northern atolls.
'What is a quarter of Maldives?' asked the king.
'That is the four atolls to the north of Male',' answered the treasurer.
'The person to whom the atolls should be given is on board the big ship. Send for him,' ordered the king.

Viyazoaru refused to come off the ship straight away and waited many days before an appropriately auspicious moment arrived. On that day, he landed and entered the office of king Andiri-Andhirin who gave him the tax document for the four northern atolls.
'Viyazoaru, arrange the tax collection as soon as possible,' said Andhiri-Andhirin.
'How am I going to live there without being married to someone?' mentioned the Viyazoaru.
'Get married as soon as you can and then hurry to do the tax collecting,' ordered the king.

Viyazoaru dressed himself well and walked around the island every morning and afternoon in search of a woman to marry. After eight or nine days, he decided to marry king Ali's widow, Kaba Aisa Rani Kilgefan. He left Male' with his new wife and king Ali's daughter Siti Mava Rani Kilegefan, and sailed as atoll chief to the northern atolls. Their vessel left through Kagi Channel, crossing Kashidhoo channel and stopping at the islands of Faadhippolhu looking for the shape of a harbour that his wife in Goa had described to him. He didn't find such an island there, so he nominated a local person as tax collector and sailed on to Maalhosmadulu. He inspected both halves of the atoll, landing at all the islands. Still he could not find an island that fitted the description given by his Goan wife. He made another local man the collector for the atoll and sailed to Miladhunmadulu. He searched there and couldn't find what he was looking for and gave the responsibility for tax collecting to a local man and went straight to Thiladhunmathi.

He checked all the islands and finally found an island with the right harbour. It was Baarah. There he stopped with his new wife, and established himself as the tax collector.

We'll halt his story there.

<Previous   Next>
top of page

Maldives Culture, Powered by Joomla!; free resources by SG web hosting