Maldives Culture -
Maldives Culture - maldives island
Latest Updates arrow Buraara - Bodu Takurufan arrow Buraara - The story of Bodu Takurufan part 11
Latest Updates
Advanced Search
Free Dhivehi-English Dictionary
Presidency of Mohamed Nasheed
Gayyoom's Dictatorship 1978-2008
Buddhism and Islam
Ibn Battuta 1343-45
Pyrard 1602-07
Rosset 1885
Maldives 1900-1922
Maldives 1924-1953
Majlis rule 1954-57
Suvadive Republic 1959-1963
President Nasir 1969-1978
Abdul Hakeem Hussein Manik
Maldives History
Maldives Art
Scripts of Maldives
Maps of Maldives
Traditional Stories
Magic - Fanditha
Photographs - Modern
Photographs - Historic
Ships of the Indian Ocean
Social Customs
Modern Stories
PDF Print E-mail
The story of Bodu Takurufan part 11
As told by the famous Buraara Mohamed Fulhu
and written by Al-hajj Ibrahim Ibn Ismail Feeboa

As you will recall, Hussein Takurufan's son Ali Takurufan married a woman from Thakandhoo and took her to Maarandhoo. She became pregnant and gave birth to a baby girl. Kalhu Ali Takurufan had to hear from others that the woman his son Hussein Takurufan had married was pregnant. When he learnt about this, Lhavandhoo Kamana was also brought to Utheem as she was close to giving birth.

Down south, Khanzeedhi Kamana was about to give birth and she had a baby boy in Hithadhoo, Addu atoll. On the same ninth night in the water in Utheem, Lhavandhoo Kaman gave birth to a boy. Khanzeedhi Kamana's baby was named Mohamed on the seventh day and Lhavandhoo Kamana's baby was also named Mohamed Takurufan. As she recovered from childbirth Khanzeedhi Kamana married Fashana Ubusheymu and they continued to live in Hithadhoo. A year later, Khanzeedhi was preganant again and so was Lhavandhoo Kamana. Khanzeedhi had another boy while Lhavandhoo Kamana had a boy in Utheem as well. These two boys were also born on the ninth night in the water at either end of Maldives.

Khanzeedhi's baby died in water of the ninth night, while Lhavandhoo's boy was named Hassan Takurufan on the seventh day. After a year, Khanzeedhi Kamana became pregnant again and gave birth to a baby boy who was named Matukala on the seventh day.

Now listen!

Buraki Ranin mentioned to Black Mohamed that the person who had established their reign was Fashana Ubusheymu. She said it didn't matter where he was, they should ensure he had enough food to eat. So Fashana was sent the tax demand for Addu and he became the Addu tax collector. During one of his official trips to Male', Buraki Ranin asked him, 'Why have you left the island where you grew up and moved to a rural island?'
'Well, lady, I now have a wife and children,' he explained, 'and possessions. So life is easier there. You understand?'
'You could return here, and still be the Addu tax collector. Bring your wife and children with you,' Buraki suggested.

Fashana agreed to the proposal, but then he went off and paid the tax owing to the treasury, did his trading and returned to Hithadhoo where he stayed as tax collector. He made no attempt to move to Male'. Two years later, Fashana returned to the capital again. His wife and children were not with him and Buraki became angry. When Fashana Ubusheymu realised Buraki might not allow him to leave, he promised to return without delay with his wife and children. Buraki let him go, but once again Fashana stayed in HIthadhoo and did not come back to Male'.

A long time passed and Fashana's wife became ill and passed away. He buried her, performed the funeral rites and stayed with his two children in Hithadhoo as the tax collector. Three years later, Buraki sent him a letter with seals on each of its four corners. After reading the letter he realised that if he stayed any longer and didn't move to Male' he might have to face the consequences.

Fashana Ubusheymu prepared two large odis and filled them with everything he owned. On the day he came to the beach and prepared to disembark, his older son said, 'Father all three of us shouldn't travel on the same odi.'
Fashana had arranged for them all to sail together so he asked, 'Why shouldn't we, my son?'
'Because things might fall overboard from the other boat if we are all in the same one.'
'Just because we travel together doesn't mean we'll lose the things in the other boat! We should travel together,' Fashana insisted.
'I don't care, I'm sailing in the smaller boat,' said the eldest son. 'You two go in the big one.'

He climbed into the smaller odi and the others left in the larger one. While they were travelling in convoy the eldest son's odi changed its course to leeward. The father and younger son stopped at Kudumoonu for fifteen days and nights awaiting any news of the other odi. When no news came, they sailed on to Male' and stayed there.

Now listen!

Fashana Ubusheymu's older son Mohamed had changed course and sailed to Acheh. There he sold the boat and everything on board and with the money he walked north and arrived at Beydhaali. There, Mohamed learnt the Koran, mauloodh, knowledge of 'nahuf', and martial arts from the Bodu Eduru Kaleyfan. He also practised target shooting with guns and after receiving his master's commendation he left Beydhaalhi and walked north, eventually reaching Goa.

In Goa, he found the ways of the inhabitants very appealing. Urinating without bending their knees and cleaning themselves afterwards without water, these things he found very impressive. So he stayed there, eating their meat and drinking their wine and becoming friends with the king of Goa. The king asked Mohamed his name and where he was from and discovered that he was Bodu Mohamed, son of Khanzeedhi Kamana. She was the younger sister of the king, so he was Mohamed's uncle. The king searched for relatives of Mohamed on his father's side and found the sister of his father's mother still in Goa.

We'll stop Mohamed's story here.

Now listen!

One day Black Mohamed Bandarain asked Fashana Ubusheymu to accompany him on a night walk around the island. Fashana agreed, went home for dinner and then returned to the royal palace. Together, the two men wandered around sightseeing and at dawn they returned to the palace. The ground was light and the hens and roosters were coming down from the trees. The men were walking past the house of Shirazi, the chief justice, and they noticed the gate was open. They looked in and saw a young girl sweeping the yard. She had reached puberty but wasn't wearing her dress yet. When the girl glanced at Black Mohamed she threw away the broom and ran off to hide behind the washing area of the house.

Black Mohamed returned to his palace and laid down to sleep. The next evening as the sunlight disappeared, he summoned the chief justice and asked him if the girl sweeping his front yard the other morning was his daughter or a relative.
'Your highness, she isn't my daughter nor a relative. I bought her as a slave.'
'I'm very attracted to that girl,' said Black Mohamed.
'Yes sir,' said the chief justice and he returned home.

Black Mohamed paid twice as much as her original price, and the girl was freed. When an auspicious day came, he married her and she was brought to the royal palace. Black Mohamed realised that the situation would not be pleasant for Buraki Ranin so he sent the older queen to an island in the north. Shirazi Kamana, as the new queen was called, stayed at the palace.

A long while later she became ill. Fanditha and medical experts from the island were brought to treat her but to no avail. So doctors and sorcerers were summoned from the south of Maldives to treat her but even they could do nothing. Her condition deteriorated from day to day, and Black Mohamed made a vow promising to do a good deed if she recovered. Perhaps it was due to the blessing of that promise that she began to recover and feel better with every passing day.

Over four months she became her own healthy self again. A little later she was pregnant and when the birth approached, Black Mohamed thought he should no longer wait to fulfil the vow he had made. He prepared for a royal trip to the south where the islanders heard about his plans and began to build jetties and collect cowries to offer as gifts.

Black Mohamed and his queen embarked on his promised journey and didn't unfurl the sails to stop at any islands but they headed directly south and eased into Vaadhoo island in Huvadhu atoll. They were hurrying because Kamana was close to birth. At the Vaadhoo mosque, Black Mohamed observed a three day fast. This had been his vow when Kamana was sick. After fulfilling the vow, they sailed back towards Male' without stopping anywhere. At night in Fulidhoo channel, Kamana's baby was born dead.

At sunrise they eased the odi into Guraidhoo island in South Male' atoll. The people there asked what had brought them onto the island and Black Mohamed told them about his vow to visit Huvadhu and how his wife had just given birth to a still-born aboard the vessel. He wanted to bury the child and return to Male'.
The Guraidhoo elders complained, saying their island was a waqf island. 'We object to bringing a rotting corpse here. Please go to Biyaadhoo (several kilometres northwest of Guraidhoo) and bury the body there. That is a government island.'
So Black Mohamed sailed on to Biyaadhoo where he buried the child and returned to Male'.

A year later, Shirazi Kamana was pregnant again and gave birth to a boy who grew up in the palace. He was four years old when his mother became seriously ill. She suffered for a long time before dying. Kamana was buried with full funeral rites and then Black Mohamed decided that Buraki Ranin shouldn't be so far away and had her brought back to Male'.

After a year in the palace, Buraki became pregnant and had a baby girl named Kaba Aisa Rani Kilegefan. This princess grew up in the palace and reached the age of wearing a dress. Black Mohamed summoned all the high officials to the court. They asked what they were required to discuss and he explained that his daughter was now of dress wearing age and he wanted them to find a suitable man for her and bring him to the palace. The high officials each gave their personal opinion on the matter. Whenever a particular person was suggested, the others would say another person else was better and nominate him. Eventually, someone said that none of the suggested men were appropriate, and what they were looking for was Kuda Sayid Kaleygefan. After further discussion, the decision was made and they left.

On the next auspicious night, Kuda Sayid Kaleygefan married Aisa Rani Kilegefan, the daughter of Black Mohamed. The young man moved into the royal palace, his wife became pregnant and she had a baby girl. It was called Siti Mava Rani Kilegefan. While she was growing up in the royal palace, Kuda Sayid Kaleygefan decided to marry another woman from Male' island. He continued to live at the palace and his new wife had a baby girl. A year later his other wife, the princess became pregnant again and had a boy, followed a year later by another girl. The Sayid's new Male' wife had three children by him. The eldest girl was Kuda Kabafanu, the second child, a boy, was named Kuda Kalafan. The youngest was a girl called Siti Mava Rani Kilegefan. All three of these children grew up in the palace.

After all this, Fashana Ubusheymu told Buraki Ranin that he had to go to Thiladhunmathi because of a vow he had made. Buraki asked which particular island he was visiting and he told her it was Hathifushi.
'All right, Fashana,' said Buraki consenting to his trip, 'just come straight back after fulfilling the vow, no playing around.'

He agreed, boarded the odi and sailed out of the harbour. The vessel left via Kalhi kandu and went across the two Kashidhoo channels and into Faadhippolhu leeward of Madivaru and then into the Baraveli channel. They sailed into Miladhunmadulu and out the other side into Thiladhunmathi. After sailing through the atoll, the odi stopped at Hathifushi island. When the vow had been fulfilled, the odi sailed along with Fashana sitting on the deck awning and asking the name of each island as they sailed along. When the crewmen told him a name, he'd tell them to stop while he made a short visit.

One day Fashana asked for the name of a particularly low-lying island he had noticed.
'That's Hanimaadhoo, in Thiladhunmathi atoll,' they said, and Fashana told them to head there.

The boat moored and they walked around for a while. The weather wouldn't let them leave so they anchored overnight, intending to leave the next morning. At about midnight Fashana was taken ill.

The next day they stayed to treat him but his condition continued to deteriorate. Fashana Ubusheymu died there on Hanimaadhoo. The news was sent to Male' and Buraki Ranin became ill when she heard, and died soon after. To the beat of the drum, the two regiments were summoned to perform the burial. When her funeral rites were over, Black Mohamed was the absolute ruler.

<Previous   Next>
top of page

Maldives Culture, Powered by Joomla!; free resources by SG web hosting